M.Sc. – Applied Zoology
DEPARTMENT OF P.G. STUDIES IN APPLIED ZOOLOGY
The Department of P.G. Studies in Applied Zoology has been initiated in the academic year 2015-16 to equip the students with knowledge, necessary skills and orient them towards research in the field of Zoology.
- To provide a strong foundation and motivation for applying fundamental concepts of Zoology in basic research to meet global challenges.
- To make students to acquire more practical knowledge through visit to research institutions, industries, Universities etc.
- To give exposure to students by interaction with eminent scientists in various fields of Zoology, by attending invited lectures, workshops, seminars and symposia.
Course offered: M.Sc. in Zoology (Choice Based Credit System).
Duration: Two years.
Candidates shall have studied Zoology as one of the major/optional/subsidiary subjects securing 45% marks (40% in case of SC/ST candidates) in the aggregate excluding languages at the undergraduate level.
|1.||Dr.Rashmi K.||M.Sc., Ph.D., SLET||Associate Professor & Head|
|2.||Mrs.Shruthi S.||M.Sc. (Pursuing Ph. D.)||Assistant Professor|
|3.||Ms.Prajna N.G.||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor|
|4.||Ms.SaranyaSasidharan||M.Sc., SLET||Assistant Professor|
|I Semester||II Semester||III Semester||IV Semester
|ZOH 401- Animal Taxonomy and Evolution||ZOH 451- Comparative Physiology||ZOH501- Genetics and Quantitative Biology||ZOH503- Neurobiology and Behaviour|
|ZOH 402- Biological Chemistry||ZOH452-Toxicology and Cancer Biology||ZOH502- Nutrition and Metabolism||ZOH551- Biology of Immune System|
|ZOS 403- Comparative Anatomy||ZOH 453- Animal Cell Biotechnology||ZOH503- Neurobiology and Behaviour||ZOP552- Project work|
|ZOS 404-Tools and techniques in Biology||ZOS454- Adaptation Biology||ZOS504- Fisheries and Aquatic Biology||ZOS553- Wildlife Conservation and Management|
|ZOS 405- Entomology||ZOS455- Molecular Cell Biology||ZOS505- Animal Breeding||ZOS554- Statistics and Bioinformatics|
|ZOH 406- Animal Taxonomy and Evolution Lab||ZOS456- Developmental Biology||ZOS506- Environmental Biology||ZOS555- Radiation Biology|
|ZOH 407- Biological Chemistry Lab||ZOH 451- Comparative Physiology Lab||ZOH501- Genetics and Quantitative BiologyLab|
|ZOS 408- Comparative Anatomy Lab||ZOH452-Toxicology and Cancer Biology Lab||ZOH502- Nutrition and MetabolismLab|
|ZOS 409-Tools and techniques in Biology Lab||ZOH 453- Animal Cell Biotechnology Lab||ZOH503- Neurobiology and BehaviourLab|
|ZOS 410- Entomology Lab||ZOS454- Adaptation Biology Lab||ZOS504- Fisheries and Aquatic BiologyLab|
|ZOS455- Molecular Cell Biology Lab||ZOS505- Animal BreedingLab|
|ZOS456- Developmental Biology Lab||ZOS506- Environmental BiologyLab|
ZOE457 – Parasites and diseases
- Departmental library
- Research facilities
- Guest lectures/ Seminars/ Workshops
- Training for competitive exams such as UGC-NET, SLET, GATE etc.
- Teaching in Pre-University and Under Graduate colleges.
- Phil. or Ph. D.
- Sc. graduates can work in various sectors such as
- Food industry
- Drug discovery and development
- Screening for bioactive compounds
- Fisheries and Animal husbandry
- They can work as Research scholars, Animal Taxonomists, Cell and molecular biologists, Cell culturists and many more.