M.Sc. – Psychology
DEPARTMENT OF POST GRADUATE STUDIES IN PSYCHOLOGY
The Post graduate Department of Psychology was established in the year 2014 is a part of Alva’s group of Education institution, affiliated to Mangalore University. The aim of the Department is to train students in terms of personal and professional development.
Faculties are trained to use modern technology in classroom teaching and students are provided various practical exposures. Students visiting special schools, Hospitals, industries and NGOs to learn skills and techniques to psychological assessments, counseling and psychotherapy process and to apply psychology in organizational settings. For further higher studies and development of students, department is orienting research process.
- To provide students with excellent and rigorous training in Psychology both theoretically and practically.
- To build deep expertise in the respective domain as well as a broad vision of the field.
- This is achieved through integrated curricula that compasses of teaching, faculty guided projects, class room activities and field works.
- To create a generation of excellent psychologists who can contribute to the society as a whole.
M.Sc. in Psychology specialization in
- Clinical and counselling Psychology
- Industrial psychology
The Master of Science in Psychology (M.Sc. Psychology) is spread across 2 years over four semesters. Each semester is for a period of about four months.
Cognitive psychology practical
Educational psychology practical
HR Skill development
Statistics in psychology
Counselling skills and field work practical
Group counselling practical
Management skill development
Dynamics of Human Behaviour I
Psychological disorders of Childhood and Adolescence
Assessment of personality practical
Assessment of clinical symptomatology
Human Resource Management and Development (HRM&D)
Dynamics of human behaviour II
Areas of counselling
Behaviour modification practical
Counselling special population practical
Aggregate of 55% marks in B.A/ B.Sc. with psychology
- Weekly seminars, group discussions and HR activities are organized
- Experts from various institutions and fields related to psychology are invited to talk on various psychological concepts of current interests.
- Training in Psychological Assessment and Intervention Skills are given periodically by organizing workshops
- Emphasis on research, internship and extension activities
- Compulsory field work in every semester
- The students are encouraged to take part in all means that will benefit the society in large by organizing workshops/ outreach programmes
- Dissertations are part of the curriculum in the second year. This gives the students an experience in scientific writing and publication.
- Study tours
- Well equipped classrooms
- Well equipped psychology Laboratory
- Well qualified staff
- Good number of library books
- Hostel facility for boys and girls inside the campus
- Equipped built auditoriums
- Post office
- Hospital with student friendly and subsidized treatment
- Yoga centre and guided yoga and pranayama for all needy students free of cost
- Library open round t5he clock on all the days of year
- Digital library
- Photocopy, project work and book binding
- Stationary and computer and internet services
- Transport facility to and fro college for all the hostellers.